In early 1955, a camp was set up at the present premises of the hospital. The shelter served as accommodation facility for victims of small pox who had been isolated from their homes.
Later in the year a Mass Education officer by name Mr. Dwamena, who was working in Hwidiem at the time, suggested to the Chief and his Elders to think of setting up a clinic.
They contacted the then Catholic Bishop of Kumasi, Rt. Rev. Van de Bronk, because Brong Ahafo Region was at that time under the jurisdiction of the then Kumasi Catholic Diocese. It happened that two towns, i.e, Hwidiem and Agroyesum in Ashanti Region were each asking for a hospital with a resident doctor at the same time. The Bishop proposed that any of the two communities that could provide a decent accommodation for a doctor would get a hospital and a doctor.
Under the able leadership of Nana Akwasi Nyantakyi of blessed memory, the local community was able to provide an accommodation for a doctor and a site for the hospital.
On 28th November, 1955, a young Dutch Doctor, J. A. Vervoorn arrived in Hwidiem to commence work. The shed for the small pox victims was converted to a dispensary. Work began with the construction of a block of four rooms at the site of the present females ward to start the hospital. Each family of the community contributed either two bags of maize or a bag of cocoa for sale towards the project.
On December 3, 1956, there was an official opening of the Clinic. With this humble beginning, the clinic gradually developed under the management of various Memisa Doctors and Nurses.
In 1973, when the Sunyani Diocese was erected, the ownership of the hospital was transferred from the Bishop of Kumasi to the Bishop of Sunyani.
In 1981, the then Bishop of Sunyani (the late Most Rev. James Kwadwo Owusu) invited the Missionary Sisters of our Lady of Apostles (OLA) to take over the Administration of the Hospital. The congregation finally took over on January 28 1984.
Since then great efforts have been made, with the support of our partner Agencies abroad and benefactors in Ghana and the Government of Ghana, to bring the hospital to its present status. We are convinced that with God’s grace and continued support from our benefactors within and our Partner Agencies abroad, and the effort of all the staff we hope for a continuous growth of the Hospital.
Asutifi South District shares boundaries with Asutifi North to the North, Tano District to the Northeast, Asunafo North District to the Southwest and Ahafo Ano District (Ashanti Region) to the Southeast. The district covers a total land surface of 1500 sq km and it lies with the semi-equatorial zone marked by double rainfall between 125 mm and 200 mm, humidity is high ranging from 5% to 80%.
The District has a moist semi-deciduous forest, but human activities, notably farming, lumbering, occasional bush fires and quite recently mining activities have disturbed the vegetation. The District has 140 settlements with two Traditional Paramount Cities, namely Hwidiem and Acherensua.
The total population of the District is about 55,957 with a growth rate of 2.3% per annum. The District has about 140 settlements and out of this, only Hwidiem is rural urban.